Self Love is important but it can be difficult to love yourself while being inundated with cultural and societal expectations of what is perfect or acceptable.
Often times we lose sight of who we really are what we’re capable of when chasing someone else’s dream. We stop loving ourselves the moment we forget, we’re good enough being the person we are . No one can be you.
So how do we get back to self-love? Have you forgotten how to love yourself?
Here’s a great start on how to love yourself:
- Do what you love. Are you in a career or job that brings you joy? If not, do you have daily activities/passions that you have integrated into your everyday life?
- Accept only healthy/positive relationships in your life. Are you steadfast on the people you keep in your life and in your circle? The people you keep in your life are a true reflection of your level of love for yourself. What are you willing to put up with? What behaviour do you except in your life as OK? Are you willing to cut out or distance yourself from those toxic relationship’s that are no longer serving you?
- Take time for yourself. On the perpetual rate race of life, daily life takes over and it can be hard to remember at times how to love yourself. Taking time out for yourself is important to stay grounded and bring you back to you. Remember, your life around you is a true reflection of how you feel inside. If you’re not taking time out for yourself, your life becomes chaotic and disconnected. Take time out to read a book, take a bath, whatever brings you personal peace and contentment.
- Take care of your body. When I say body, I mean your entire body. You only have one body, take care of it. This means be conscious of the food you eat, food can have a huge impact on our mood and energy levels. Try physical activity that is fun for you and that yields results you’re looking for. For some, yoga brings a lot of calmness to their lives, while others turn to running to escape life anxiety.
- Be patient with yourself. Are you patient with yourself when you’re having a bad day or are not quite where you want to be? Being impatient with yourself causes you to often times compare yourself to others and perpetuate the “grass is always greener” affect. Your life is your own. Embrace the now, embrace where you want to be and spend every day making strides towards your goals. Trust when you need to be patient getting there, that your life is a journey, a fantastic, unique evolution, just for you.
- Watch your internal dialogue. How do you treat yourself? How do you talk to yourself? Be gentle with yourself, just like you are patient. We can be our biggest critiques. How to love yourself, start’s with yourself. Even if you don’t always believe it, think of one thing a day that you’re great at or that you love about yourself.
How to love yourself is not always about the big moves in life, it can be the smallest thing you do every day to bring back to you.
Never forget the most important person in your life is you.